Diet and Depression
Diet and depression can go hand in hand so let’s find out
what can be done to help those suffering with this serious illness.
Diet and Depression Meal Plans
Beans and greens! Folate and Vitamin B12 are two essential nutrients in the fight against depression. Legumes and leafy green vegetables are great sources, especially when fresh and organic!
- Grilled Sardines on wholegrain toast with butter (not margarine), tomato and cheese.
- Scrambled eggs with parsley and cracked pepper with rye toast
- Blueberry pancakes with maple syrup
- Mango yogurt with oat and dried fruit muesli
- Bacon, Lettuce, tomato and avocado wraps
- Wholegrain wheat biscuits with whole milk, sliced banana with a freshly squeezed orange juice
- Pineapple, orange, ginger, watermelon and mint juice
- Tinned salmon, cheese & tomato toasted
sandwiches on multigrain with fresh rocket
- Chicken Caesar salad with romaine lettuce and
- Lean beef chili enchiladas with kidney beans,
lettuce and tomato
- Whole grain brad rolls with smoked salmon,
avocado, alfalfa, red onion and capers
- Bacon and egg burgers with barbeque sauce and
- Grilled fish burger with tartare sauce and
Research has shown people with depression appear to have
lower levels of omega-3. Combat this by eating more oily fish such as trout,
salmon, mackerel and sardines. Flaxseeds, chia seeds and walnuts are also good
- Homemade muesli bars with pepitas, sunflower
seeds and sultanas
- Flaxseed pikelets with honey and lemon
- Whole washed fruits and berries
- Hummus dip with fresh cut vegetables
- Taramasalata with Turkish or Lebanese bread
- Raw nuts including almonds, cashews, brazil
- Roast lamb with rosemary and mint glaze with
steamed broccoli, carrots and string beans
- Fish pie with corn, garlic and potato
- Crumbed fish with smokey paprika wedges and a
green side salad
- Chicken and asparagus quiche with cumin and
- Grilled steak with fresh salad and baby
- Beef lasagne with fresh coleslaw and oven baked chips
Keep blood-sugar levels balanced. If they fluctuate
during the day, so will your mood and this can be a contributing factor in
people with depression.
A diet high in sugary, white, processed carbohydrate
foods will cause sudden peaks and troughs in the amount of glucose in your
blood, which can result in irritability, fluctuating mood and anxiety.
- Dark chocolate mousse with fresh strawberries
- Crepes with toasted coconut, banana and
vanilla bean ice-cream
- Peppermint cheesecake
- Lemon meringue pie with fresh cream
- Black Forest Gateau
- Dragon fruit jelly trifle
Check our Depression Diet page for a wider explanation
Selenium is a mineral that acts like an antioxidant in the body. Research suggests that the presence of oxidative stress in the brain is associated with some cases of mild to moderate depression.
Whole grains are an excellent source of selenium; oatmeal, brown rice, nuts, seeds and fresh sea food are also great sources. Seek fruits and vegetables with bright colours for their antioxidant properties and don’t forget red wine and dark chocolate are goodness packed too!
Thank you for visiting our Diet and Depression page - check out our homepage for more about this site
Return to TOP of Page
Powered by Solo Build It - Build your business from home